Marcus Allen Biography
College Career, The Raiders, Chronology, Contact Information, Career Statistics, Awards And AccomplishmentsSELECTED WRITINGS BY ALLEN:
American football player
Heisman Trophy winner Marcus Allen came to be admired for his intelligence and quiet determination as much as for his skill in gaining yardage. An all-around athlete with a winning smile and boyish charm, Allen's appearance concealed a mature team player. As a senior at the University of Southern California (USC), he was a first-round draft pick, taken by the Raiders under the shadow of that team's move from Oakland to Los Angeles, California. In 1984 Allen was named the most valuable player of Super Bowl XVIII. A Pro Football Hall of Fame enshrinee, he has been quoted, "There is absolutely nothing that compares with winning."
Born in San Diego, California, on March 16, 1960, Marcus LaMarr Allen is the second of six siblings, the children of Gwen, a licensed vocational nurse, and Harold "Red" Allen, a construction foreman. As a child Allen played little league along with his four brothers. Later, at San Diego's Lincoln High School from 1975-78, he lettered in baseball, basketball, track, and football. He was named to the all-city and all-league football teams and remained strong in academics. Although he played quarterback in high school, he preferred to play running back and opted to attend the University of Southern California (USC) because of the school's history of Heisman Trophy winning running backs.
SELECTED WRITINGS BY ALLEN:
(With Carlton Stowers) Marcus, St. Martin's Press, 1997.
Sketch by G. Cooksey
- Sammy Baugh Biography - Discovers Sports In Temple, Texas, Moves To Sweetwater, Texas, Recruited For College Career At Tcu
- Troy Aikman Biography - Born In West Covina, California, Chronology, Drafted By Dallas Cowboys, Dreams Of 'three-peat' Dashed - CONTACT INFORMATION
- Marcus Allen - College Career
- Marcus Allen - The Raiders
- Marcus Allen - Chronology
- Marcus Allen - Contact Information
- Marcus Allen - Career Statistics
- Marcus Allen - Awards And Accomplishments
- Marcus Allen - Further Information
- Other Free Encyclopedias