Peggy Fleming Biography
Showed Early Promise, Chronology, Thrown Into Spotlight, Awards And Accomplishments, The Long Program: Skating Toward Life's VictoriesSELECTED WRITINGS BY FLEMING:
American figure skater
One of the most influential female athletes of the past century, Peggy Fleming combined grace and power to create some of the most memorable figure-skating programs of her era. After winning a surprising victory at the 1964 United States Figure Skating Association (USFSA) National Championship as a fifteen-year-old, Fleming went on to capture four more consecutive national titles. She also added three International Skating Union (ISU) World Championship titles from 1965 to 1968 to her list of accomplishments. At the 1968 Winter Olympics in Grenoble, France, Fleming became the only American athlete to win a gold medal at the games. Retiring from the amateur ranks after winning her third World Championship later that year, Fleming went on to star in a number of figure skating television specials and appeared with various touring ice shows in the 1970s. Her work as a skating analyst for the ABC network kept her in the public eye in the 1980s and 1990s. After a diagnosis of breast cancer in 1998, Fleming also campaigned to raise awareness of the importance of early detection and treatment for the disease. Married to dermatologist Greg Jenkins since 1970 and the mother two sons, Fleming remains one of the most admired figures in the world of sports.
SELECTED WRITINGS BY FLEMING:
(With Peter Kaminsky) The Long Program: Skating Toward Life's Victories. New York: Pocket Books, 1999.
Sketch by Timothy Borden
- Rudy Galindo Biography - A Trailer Park Childhood, A Prodigy And A Partnership, Difficult Times, Turnaround And Triumph - SELECTED WRITINGS BY GALINDO:
- Dick Button Biography - Sixteen-year-old U.s. Champion, Olympic Gold Medalist, Sportscaster And Producer
- Peggy Fleming - Showed Early Promise
- Peggy Fleming - Chronology
- Peggy Fleming - Thrown Into Spotlight
- Peggy Fleming - Awards And Accomplishments
- Peggy Fleming - The Long Program: Skating Toward Life's Victories
- Peggy Fleming - Olympic Champion
- Peggy Fleming - On Television As Performer And Broadcaster
- Peggy Fleming - Raised Breast Cancer Awareness
- Peggy Fleming - Where Is She Now?
- Peggy Fleming - Further Information
- Other Free Encyclopedias