Alexi Lalas Biography
Plays College Soccer, High Profile Player At World Cup, Played In Italy, Chronology, Played For Mls TeamSELECTED WRITINGS BY LALAS:
American soccer player
One of the most recognized American soccer players because of his red hair and trademark goatee, Alexi Lalas contributed to the popularity of the sport in the United States in the 1990s. A defender, Lalas played on the U.S. national team, and professionally for MLS (Major League Soccer) and in Europe for Italy's Serie A, one of
the best leagues in the world. He was also a singer and guitar player who recorded and performed with bands.
Lalas was born on June 1, 1970, in Birmingham, Michigan, the son of Dimitrious Lalas and his wife Anne Woodworth. His father was a professor who later became the director of Greece's national observatory, while his mother was a writer and poet. Lalas did not begin to play soccer until he was 10 or 11 years old, but by his senior year of high school at Cranbrook Kingswood, he was Michigan's prep soccer player of the year. Soccer was not his only sport. Lalas was also a star hockey player, and his team won the state's high school hockey championship.
SELECTED WRITINGS BY LALAS:
(With Thomas Lee Wright) Kickin Balls: The Alexi Lalas Story. Simon & Schuster, 1996.
Sketch by A. Petruso
- Diego Maradona Biography - A Star In Europe, Claimed Divine Intervention, Chronology, Fewer Goals, More Acrimony, Contact Information - SELECTED WRITINGS BY MARADONA:
- Luis Hernandez Biography - Soccer Roots In Family, World Cup Standout, North Of The Border, Chronology, One More World Cup
- Alexi Lalas - Plays College Soccer
- Alexi Lalas - High Profile Player At World Cup
- Alexi Lalas - Played In Italy
- Alexi Lalas - Chronology
- Alexi Lalas - Played For Mls Team
- Alexi Lalas - Briefly Retires
- Alexi Lalas - Contact Information
- Alexi Lalas - Awards And Accomplishments
- Alexi Lalas - Further Information
- Other Free Encyclopedias