Shawna Robinson Biography
Racing Family, Dash Division Debut, Chronology, Pole Position History And Crash, Arca ComebackTemporary Retirement, CONTACT INFORMATION
American race car driver
As a woman stock car racer, Shawna Robinson has a long list of "firsts" behind her name, including being the first woman to start a NASCAR Winston Cup race since Patty Moise did so in 1989 and the first woman to finish a Winston Cup race since Janet Guthrie in 1980. Yet, she has said she is more interested in being remembered as a winning driver than as the first of her gender to accomplish racing feats. Competing primarily against men on the racetrack, Robinson has faced prejudice and even outright hostility from some drivers. She also struggles with finding sponsorship for competitions. Robinson started her career in Great American Truck Racing (GATR) tours. She turned to racing in the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR) in 1988, at age twenty-three, winning the AC Delco 100 race, which made her the first woman ever to win a major NASCAR Touring Series event. Still racing in 2002, Robinson is a single mother of two children.
After the Atlanta race, Robinson continued to compete in the Grand National division. Her best finish in a Busch Series race was a tenth place, and she retired temporarily to start a family in 1995. Married and giving birth to a son, Tanner, in 1996 and a daughter, Samantha, in 1997, Robinson worked in Charlotte, North Carolina, as an interior decorator, where many of her clients were involved with NASCAR.
Address: c/o Shawna Robinson Fan Club, 545-C Pitts School Rd. NW, Concord, NC, 28027. Online: http://www.shawnarobinson.com.
Sketch by Ann H. Shurgin
- Michael Schumacher Biography - Chronology, Awards And Accomplishments, Further Information
- Alain Prost Biography - Built Reputation In Junior Formulae, High Hopes For Frenchman On French Team, Chronology, Awards And Accomplishments - CONTACT INFORMATION
- Shawna Robinson - Racing Family
- Shawna Robinson - Dash Division Debut
- Shawna Robinson - Chronology
- Shawna Robinson - Pole Position History And Crash
- Shawna Robinson - Arca Comeback
- Shawna Robinson - Winston Cup
- Shawna Robinson - Slow Season
- Shawna Robinson - Awards And Accomplishments
- Shawna Robinson - Related Biography: Racing Executive Michael Kranefuss
- Shawna Robinson - Further Information
- Other Free Encyclopedias