A. J. Foyt Biography
Born To Drive, The Move To Indy Cars, Chronology, No Pain, No GainCONTACT INFORMATION
American race car driver
A. J. Foyt Jr., is unique in the world of auto racing. While others have matched some of his most impressive records, such as his four Indianapolis 500 victories, nobody can compete with the astonishing longevity and variety of his racing career. Foyt's professional career spanned four decades, from the 1950s to the 1990s, which is an accomplishment in of itself in auto racing. However, the fact that he remained competitive during this entire time, despite a number of debilitating injuries, has made Foyt's career even more outstanding. In addition, while most auto racers specialize in driving a certain type of car or racing on a certain type of terrain, Foyt has raced in—and won—premier auto-racing events in radically different cars on a variety of road and track courses around the world. For these reasons, in 1999, Supertex, as he is known to his legions of fans, was named by the Associated Press, along with Mario Andretti, as the Driver of the Century.
Address: A. J. Foyt Enterprises, 6415 Toledo St., Houston, TX, 77008-6226.
Sketch by Ryan Poquette
- Janet Guthrie Biography - A Thirst For Adventure, A Pioneering Racing Career, Few Women Followed Her Lead, Chronology - CONTACT INFORMATION
- Emerson Fittipaldi Biography - Chronology, Awards And Accomplishments, Further Information
- A. J. Foyt - Born To Drive
- A. J. Foyt - The Move To Indy Cars
- A. J. Foyt - Chronology
- A. J. Foyt - No Pain, No Gain
- A. J. Foyt - Awards And Accomplishments
- A. J. Foyt - Foyt's Legacy
- A. J. Foyt - Selected Writings By Foyt:
- A. J. Foyt - Related Biography: Auto Racer A. J. Foyt Iv
- A. J. Foyt - Where Is He Now?
- A. J. Foyt - Further Information
- Other Free Encyclopedias