Rudy Galindo Biography
A Trailer Park Childhood, A Prodigy And A Partnership, Difficult Times, Turnaround And TriumphSELECTED WRITINGS BY GALINDO:
American figure skater
Rudy Galindo's story is in many ways the classic American rags-to-riches tale of overcoming adversity to triumph in the end. Again and again, Galindo has over-come personal tragedies and professional setbacks that would have defeated many other athletes. When the departure of Kristi Yamaguchi from their hugely successful skating partnership left him high-and-dry, he struggled with limited success to make up for lost time in men's singles competitions. Just when almost everyone had counted him out, he returned to win the 1996 U.S. Figure Skating National Championship, right in his own hometown.
But in addition to his grit and perseverance, there is an integrity at the heart of Galindo's story, a rare
courage that allowed him to come out of the closet as one of the very few openly gay athletes. That same courage came through when he announced that he had been diagnosed HIV-positive in 2000, and it has continued to shine through in this greatest battle of his life.
SELECTED WRITINGS BY GALINDO:
(With Eric Marcus) Icebreaker: The Autobiography of Rudy Galindo, New York: Pocket Books, 1997.
Sketch by Robert Winters
- Ekaterina Gordeeva Biography - An Early Start, First Olympic Gold, Second Gold Medal, A Tragic Loss, A New Life - CONTACT INFORMATION
- Peggy Fleming Biography - Showed Early Promise, Chronology, Thrown Into Spotlight, Awards And Accomplishments, The Long Program: Skating Toward Life's Victories - SELECTED WRITINGS BY FLEMING:
- Rudy Galindo - A Trailer Park Childhood
- Rudy Galindo - A Prodigy And A Partnership
- Rudy Galindo - Difficult Times
- Rudy Galindo - Turnaround And Triumph
- Rudy Galindo - Chronology
- Rudy Galindo - A New Life And A New Challenge
- Rudy Galindo - Contact Information
- Rudy Galindo - Awards And Accomplishments
- Rudy Galindo - Further Information
- Other Free Encyclopedias