Billy Mills Biography
"live Your Life As A Warrior", "my Indianness Kept Me Striving", Chronology, Awards And AccomplishmentsCONTACT INFORMATION, SELECTED WRITINGS BY MILLS:
American track and field athlete
Lakota Sioux runner Billy Mills was responsible for one of the greatest upsets in Olympic history. A complete unknown in the track-and-field world, Mills outran a field of international track stars to win the gold medal in the 10,000-meter race in the 1964 Olympic Games in Tokyo. Mills's win was the first gold medal by any American in this event, and was a particular source of pride for Native Americans. Interestingly, the only other American ever to medal in the event was another Native American, Louis Tewanima, a Hopi Indian, who won silver in 1912.
Address: Billy Mills Speakers Bureau, 7760 Winding Way, Suite 722, Fair Oaks, CA 95628. Phone: (916) 965-5738.
SELECTED WRITINGS BY MILLS:
(With Nicholas Sparks), Wokini: A Lakota Journey to Happiness and Self-Understanding, Crown, 1994.
Sketch by Kelly Winters
- Edwin Moses Biography - "track Was Almost Incidental", Chronology, "edwin Was Like The Lone Ranger", A Prophetic Dream - CONTACT INFORMATION
- Svetlana Masterkova Biography - Running Career Determined Soviet-style, Chronology, Awards And Accomplishments - CONTACT INFORMATION
- Billy Mills - "live Your Life As A Warrior"
- Billy Mills - "my Indianness Kept Me Striving"
- Billy Mills - Chronology
- Billy Mills - Awards And Accomplishments
- Billy Mills - Makata Taka Hela
- Billy Mills - Running Brave
- Billy Mills - Where Is He Now?
- Billy Mills - Further Information
- Other Free Encyclopedias