Satchel Paige Biography
Growing Up, Chronology, Awards And Accomplishments, Played In The Negro Leagues, In The Big LeaguesSELECTED WRITINGS BY PAIGE:
American baseball player
Leroy Robert "Satchel" Paige, one of the game's true natural talents, was an African-American man living during the height of the Jim Crow days in a South where the color-barrier was thick and seemingly insurmountable. Yet in spite of the odds, Paige transcended place, time, and sport, and became one of the greatest players baseball has ever seen. The first black pitcher to play in the major leagues, the oldest major league rookie, and a man who pitched—and won—more games than any other baseball player in history, many of Paige's accomplishments stand on their own. But many of his feats exist as part of the mythology that preceded him in life, and now—since his death from a heart attack in 1982—follow Paige's legend wherever it goes. As Mark Ribowsky noted in his 1994 book Don't Look Back: Satchel Paige in the Shadows of Baseball: "If Paige hadn't existed, someone in art or literature would have invented him…. Wherever [he] went, somethingimportant happened in the evolution of baseball."
SELECTED WRITINGS BY PAIGE:
(With Hal Lebovitz) Pitchin'Man. Meckler Publishing, 1992.
(As told to David Lipman) Maybe I'll Pitch Forever. University of Nebraska Press, 1993.
Sketch by Eric Lagergren
- Gaylord Perry Biography - Minor Setbacks, Chronology, The Spitball Artist, Time Catches Up With A Pitcher, Awards And Accomplishments - SELECTED WRITINGS BY PERRY:
- Sadaharu Oh Biography - Zen And The Art Of The Flamingo Stance, Home Run Record, From Player To Manager To Hall Of Fame - SELECTED WRITINGS BY OH:
- Satchel Paige - Growing Up
- Satchel Paige - Chronology
- Satchel Paige - Awards And Accomplishments
- Satchel Paige - Played In The Negro Leagues
- Satchel Paige - In The Big Leagues
- Satchel Paige - Baseball: A Film By Ken Burns
- Satchel Paige - Due Recognition
- Satchel Paige - Career Statistics
- Satchel Paige - Further Information
- Other Free Encyclopedias